Working on the OpenCPN project is one of my hobbies.
I am particularly interested in weather, climate, mathmatical algorithms and graphics. I hope my plugins can improve the usefulness of OpenCPN and encourage it's widespread use.
My engine-free Bristol 27 "Alexandra" as of January 2014 anchored in the Phillippines.
My most important work to OpenCPN includes
- Initial hardware accelerated (opengl) support 2011
- Rendering optimizations and support for opengles 2014
- Improving the QT port for wxWidgets making OpenCPN for android possible 2014
- Continuing minor bug fixes and optimizations to graphics 2015-2016
- Projections (other than mercator, including sterographic orthographic gnomonic etc..
My plugins (along with many others) are available for download on opencpn.org/ocpn/downloadplugins
The source code to all of the plugins is available on github:
Plugins I have Authored (not all officially released)
- climatology view wind, currents, cyclones and other climate factors based on 30 year database.
- weather routing compute optimal sailing routes based on weather conditions
- watchdog provide various alarms based on current conditions
- weatherfax recieve weather reports via SSB (to computer mic input), convert to kap chart etc..
- celestial navigation for computing, checking and teaching celestial navigation
- rtlsdr manage gnuradio and gr-ais, or rtl_ais and automatically to give ais from $8 usb dongle
- statusbar customize text on bottom of screen
- sweepplot view sweep plots and better averaged course indicator
- rotationctrl advanced control for all kinds of possibilities that are not north up
- projections non-mercator support
I also worked on the grib and wmm plugins.
To improve development of these plugins as well as OpenCPN itself, please consider a donation. I have received several donations enabling me to order much needed electronics equipment! Thank you.
Sailing routes for 2011 - 2015.
Riding my homemade recumbant bicycle in Wellington, New Zealand 2012
Other ways to support include, feedback and testing, translations, and of course improvements or fixes.
I currently cannot afford the items on my wishlist:
- Electronic anenometer (wind speed/direction) and/or depth sounder with NMEA output. (Would allow me to improve and develop functions for this hardware like wind/depth alarms, logging soundings to create/compare charts, and many autopilot functions etc...)
- Decent quality Sextant to verify and improve the celestial navigation plugin.
If wish to contact me, may send email:
seandepagnier at gmail dot com
Replace "at" and "dot"